What to expect
Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mont-Saint-Michel and its abbey is a natural and architectural marvel, attracting more than three million visitors every year. Exposed to the elements in a wide sandy bay, the abbey has a truly unique atmosphere. When you approach the island, Mont-Saint-Michel appears like a jewel rising into to the sky, neither on solid ground nor completely on the sea. A major pilgrimage destination since its construction in the 8th century, the abbey is open all year round.
Temporary special measures for deconfinement
In order to guarantee optimal visiting conditions after this confinement linked to the COVID-19 coronavirus, you will be asked to reserve the date of your visit to the Abbey of Mont-Saint Michel free of charge. This reservation is mandatory and you will not be able to access the monument without its confirmation. All instructions will be sent to you immediately upon purchase. You will need to present your undated ticket and your date ticket.
Annual opening times of the Abbey of Mont Saint Michel
From January 2nd to April 30th: from 9:30 to 18:00
From May 2nd to August 31st: from 9:00 to 19:00
From September 1st to December 31st: 9:30 to 18:00
Last access to the abbey is 1 hour before closing.
Closed on January 1st, May 1st and December 25th.
- During High Tides: In periods of high tides, access to Mont-Saint-Michel and thus to the abbey can be impacted for several days at a time.
- The route includes 350 steps and there is no elevator to access the abbey.
- Suitcases and bags are forbidden
- Animals are not allowed, even in a carrying bag
- Knives and scooters are prohibited
- It is forbidden to smoke and eat in the monument
- Site access can be very difficult access site for people with reduced mobility
- No dogs are permitted except guide and assistance dogs
Admission is free for:
- Those under 18 years old (family and school groups)
- 18-25 year olds (nationals of European Union countries and non-European regular residents on French territory)
- Handicapped visitors and one accompanying person
- Job seekers, on presentation of a certificate that is less than 6 months old
- Culture Card - ICOM Card holders
The Abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel also opens its doors free on the 1st Sunday of the month between November and March inclusive