The Place de la Concorde is the largest square in Paris located between the Champs Elysees and the Tuileries Gardens, in the 8th district of Paris. Hotel de Crillon, the Hotel de la Marine, two fountains and in the center, a 22 meter high obelisk are on this square.
During the French Revolution, it was one of the places of large gatherings. There was a guillotine as well. During this period of terror between 1792 and 1793, 2,498 people were guillotined in Paris with 1,119 on this site, including Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette, Charlotte Corday, Philippe d'Orleans, Danton, Lavoisier and Malesherbes. At the end of the Terror, the Directory renamed this place as Place de la Concorde. In 1836, Louis Philippe decided to erect an obelisk offered by the vice-King of Egypt, Mehemet Ali. Thus, he wishes that this wouldn’t "recall any political event".