The Hotel National des Invalides is a complex of buildings in the 7th district of Paris. It was built under Louis XIV in 1677 to house invalids of his armies. Nowasays, it includes museums, a hospital and a retirement home for war veterans. Museums: the Army Museum, the Military Museum of the army of France, the Musée des Plans-Reliefs and the Museum of Contemporary History. Les Invalides also host the graves of several war heroes of France. Napoleon was buried there on December 15, 1840. His ashes were placed in a red quartzite sarcophagus of Finland, based on a black marble base from Sainte-Luce, his coffin being placed in an open circular crypt made in the center of the Saint-Louis, under the dome.